Wednesday, October 24, 2018

30 Days of Blogging: Day 23

Day 23: What is something about my career that I would change?

Honestly, there are a couple of things that I would like to change.

First, I would like to change the hostility that some of the authors exhibit toward anyone that doesn't think that their book was well written. I have seen multiple times where a reader, or fellow author, voices their opinion of an author's book and the author goes to their social media platform to insult or shame the individual. I feel like that is a negative look for all authors and it makes people hesitant when leaving a review or discussing the book anywhere.

Second, I would like to change the tone in which the readers leave reviews. I have seen where many readers leave scathing reviews about an author's book, but the review doesn't have anything to do with the story itself! Of course, there are times when the review has everything to do with the book, but it's still a nasty and mean review. A lot of people don't realize what it takes for an author to share their work with others and the mental roller coaster that nasty reviews like that can do an author. Some authors refuse to ever write again.

Third, and last for now, I would like to see more camaraderie among authors. Especially, the authors within different genres. It sometimes seems as though authors can be kinda cliquish, giving off a high school kind of vibe; turning their nose up at anyone that isn't writing in their genre. It doesn't help that there are some that are envious of others and go to embarrassing extremes to bring someone down. Most act like there aren't millions of readers out there and that makes for some ugly behaviors within the literary community.

No comments:

Post a Comment