Thursday, October 18, 2018

30 Days of Blogging: Day 17

Day 17: What lesson did I learn the hard way?

Ah, yes, what lesson did I learn the hard way? I know! The lesson I learned the hard way was that because a person is blood related to you, that does not make you family.

Some years ago, the familial dynamics on my mother's side of the family crumbled like one wouldn't believe. All of the people that I looked up to and respected chose sides when sides shouldn't have been chosen. In a situation where third parties should have stayed neutral, they didn't and I realized then that just because our genetics made us family, that didn't mean we actually were. Sure as hell made me realize that I wasn't as important to them as they were to me.

I cut off quite a few people either by text, unfriending them on Facebook, or verbally telling them so; the cut off that year was strong. For awhile during, and even after, that period of time, I felt bad. I felt bad because I missed the dynamics of those relationships. I felt bad because those relationships were no more. I felt bad because if those relationships were to mend, they would never be the same. But I did what I had to do.

Life teaches of us many things and I honestly never thought that the lesson that I would have to learn would be one where it caused me to question my loyalty to the people closest to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment