Friday, November 3, 2017

The Time When Your Hobby...

Turns into your career...
 
*To my fellow authors, I applaud those you that can live comfortably off of your books. Even more applause to those of you that have been published for a short period of time and have made a crazy impact on readers.*
 
Maybe, one day, I will be able to live comfortably as well. Who knows.

I've been published since I was 22 years old, I'm 33 now, and I never really looked at writing as the kind of business that it is. Writing is a hobby for me and publishing what I write is just an added perk.

In the beginning, I was super self-conscious about my books because they are poetry books, and not just any poetry books either. These are the kind of poetry books that allowed complete strangers to see parts of me that I keep hidden for a reason. To be so guarded, and yet, so exposed like that was a terrifying feeling. 
 
I would sell copies of them until I felt like I was making "too many sales" and then I would shut down completely about them. One time, I sold 50 copies in less than a 3 week time frame and it totally freaked me out; probably didn't help much that the sales were to co-workers of mine and I could not fathom any of them knowing me so intimately like that.

I find that I am okay promoting and marketing my novella but because I still have that innate fear of being judged, I generally remain mum about the poetry books. With the last few author events that I have had the pleasure of being an attending author at, I only sell my poetry books as a way to get more comfortable telling others about them.
 
In recent weeks, however, I have been learning how to market more only because I truly do want people to read what I write. I want them to get all the feels that I feel as I pour my heart and soul into my work. I want my words to make an impact on readers the way that other authors have made an impact on me. The kind of impact that causes you to feel like I am talking to you about a situation in your life. The kind of feeling that proves to you that you are not alone in this world when it comes to the kind of emotions that you are afraid to express. The kind of impact that leaves you feeling empty when you have finished reading the book.
 
I'm going to market better so maybe, just maybe, my hobby will allow me to live comfortably one day, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment