Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Authors in the Spotlight 11/14

In today's Authors in the Spotlight, we have author Jessica Lucci!

---------------------------------------------------------

Name: Jessica Lucci

How long have you been published? “Justice for the Lemon Trees,” my memoir about surviving child sex abuse, bullying, rape, domestic violence, mental illness, and incarceration was just published in October, 2017.  I also published a companion book, “Person Numbers: Poems from Prison,” at the same time.

What’s the worst part about being published? What a great question!  Depending on what your goals are as a writer, publishing is not always the end all – be all.   With publishing, the formal finality of your book, you now also must decide what to do about it.   If your goal includes making some sort of income from your book, there is a new marketing agenda you must begin.  That to me, is the most daunting part.  Sharing my words is a joy to me, and the connection I feel when my readers reach out to me makes me feel like my writing is worthwhile.  The selling part, not my fave. 

What’s the best part about being published? Once the catharsis of writing and publishing is complete, other people are able to touch your words, an extension of yourself.  When readers write reviews, email me, or post on my social media about how my books have enriched their lives or helped them feel understood, my main goals have publishing have been realized.

Are you self published or did you go through a publishing company? Indie Woods is my one-woman desktop business serving the independent author community.  Specializing in proofreading and editing, I decided to expand my skill set and experiment with self-publishing.  I figured that by publishing my own books first, I would be able to learn some tricks of the trade and maneuver technology without risking someone else’s precious work.  Self-publishing this way has enabled me to expand my knowledge to the extent that I am now proficient at offering other independent writers my publishing skills.  It feels powerful to work with other indies on our mutual literary quests!

Was it/were they an easy write for you? My memoir, “Justice for the Lemon Trees,” was written during a time in my life when I was incarcerated.  Once I started writing it, the words flowed easily.  Mostly.  Some key life events were omitted from my original manuscript, because they were too painful for me to face with my paper and pencil.  Luckily, I had attentive volunteers who read my early efforts and encouraged me to fill the blank spaces.  Once I committed to creating a clearer depiction of my life, the manuscript became a vessel of compassion for other women and the people who care about them. 

At the same time that my memoir was published, I decided to compile my poetry I had collected throughout my experience of imprisonment.  “Person Numbers: Poems from Prison,” is a suitable read as a sister to my memoir, or on its own.

Where can interested readers purchase their copy of your book(s)? My books are available as paperback or ebooks on Amazon.  My Amazon author page provides information on each of my books.

 Do you have any future projects in the works? Right now I am writing a non-fiction novel, “To Die a Bachelor.”   I am telling the story of women in prison, from their eyes, so readers can see what life is really like for my ladies in orange.  The idea of a poetry companion to the book is endearing to me, so I plan on producing another volume to accompany my novel.

Do you have any social media sites that you would like to share with my readers?I write a blog, “Woke,” on my website.  The subject varies from projects I am working on, to informational articles for independent authors, and news topics which are important to me and my readership.  Plus a smattering of poetry, because I simply can’t help myself! Author Website, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, Amazon Author Page, Amazon Reviews, and Goodreads.

Independent Publisher and Editor: Indie Woods and Indie Woods Facebook.

----------------------------------------------------------

Join me on Thursday as I bring you author Shae Hollisway! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment