Thursday, June 1, 2017

Authors in the Spotlight 6/1

In today's Authors in the Spotlight, we have authors Reana Malori and Nicola Matthews!

---------------------------------------------------------
 
Name: Reana Malori

How long have you been published? Since May 2009! Whew, that’s a long time!

What's the worst part about being published? Every time I publish a new story, I have anxiety. The thoughts of “will readers love / hate this story” is a constant pressure. An author is only as good as their last book and readers have long memories. So, we have to always bring our “A” game. It can be nerve-wracking.

What's the best part about being published? Realizing how much readers love my stories. Getting a note from a reader telling me how much they enjoyed one of my stories is the best feeling in the world. I never thought how it would feel to have readers come up to me and say that they’ve read every book I’ve released. It’s a feeling unlike anything else and I absolutely love it and I’m humbled by their faith in me.

Are you self published or did you go through a publishing company? Self-Published
 
*What are the highs, if any? I have much more control over my work, including the cover art. I know some authors who publish through a publishing company who don’t get to select their own cover. They don’t get to specify their vision of what story the cover should tell. I like being able to give my readers a glimpse into the story through my cover. Plus, I get to set my own timeline, which is great.
 
*What are the lows, if any? There aren’t many…but, since I control everything related to my own work, the editors, cover artists, promotions, etc. are all my responsibility. I don’t have a company helping me with that. So, with self-publishing, there’s a risk. I’m absolutely okay with taking on that burden, but it’s something I always have to consider.

What is the name of your book(s)? My most recent book is Flawless. It’s part of the F’d Up Fairy Tales collaboration that several authors decided to work on. It’s a retelling of The Ugly Duckling, with a definite twist. I think readers will enjoy the story, but be prepared. It is not your mother’s fairytale. Some of my other fan favorites include Weekend Fling, Finding Faith and Conall.

Was it/were they an easy write for you? It depends. My characters speak to me when they’re ready. They’re kinda moody and fickle. LOL! But, when they’re ready to tell me their story, the words just flow out of me and into the story. When that happens—when the words are flowing—that’s such an incredible experience and that makes it easy for a story to come together.

What's the hardest part about writing a book? When I try to force the characters or story in a direction that I want, but not how the story should be written. The characters will stop talking to me! It seems funny, but it’s so true. Or, when I’m writing sex scenes. I love sex scenes once they’re all done, but when I’m trying to put it into words, I sometimes get all shy about the words I’m going to use. I know, I know, it doesn’t make sense at all. LOL!

What's the easiest part about writing a book? Knowing when the bring in the angst of a story. That scene that’s going to break the readers heart is always so good for me to write. I love those scenes. I live for those scenes. Since I usually listen to slow jam music when I write, I can usually put on a song that puts me in the moment and that’s when all the goodness comes out.

Where can interested readers purchase their copy of your book(s)? My books are available in ebook/print on Amazon and in ebook format only on iBooks, Kobo, and Barnes & Noble.

Do you have any future projects in the works? *Is there a tentative release date? I have several books that will be coming out beginning August 2017. I’m hoping to get a few stories that have been swirling in my head down on paper, but we’ll see how that works.

Do you have any social media sites that you would like to share with my readers? Absolutely and I love hearing from readers. Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

---------------------------------------------------------
 
Name: Nicola Matthews
 
How long have you been published? I first started sending out query letters to agents and publishers nearly thirty years ago. However, I started researching self-publishing back in 2004. I created my own publishing house and officially published my first book in 2006. My works became available through Amazon in 2011 and now everything is available through all major retail outlets.

What’s the worst part about being published? When I first started publishing, I was making a decent living off of my sales. These days I’d have to say the worst part about being published is the market saturation. There are so many new books hitting the shelves each month it’s becoming harder and harder for an author to build up a reader base and their brand. It’s also very difficult to find time to balance writing and marketing and promoting with regular jobs, family, and everyday life.


What’s the best part about being published? Being read, hearing from my readers. I write to be read, so getting new reviews and hearing from my readers is the absolute best.

Do you self-publish or go through a trade publishing company? I’m a hybrid author so I’ve done both. Between the two, I much prefer being indie published. While they both have their own pros and cons, I much prefer being indie. I prefer having the control over the final product and writing under my own deadlines. I knows authors would rather just hand over a manuscript and not have to worry about anything else, but after seeing what a trade company offers in terms of acceptable cover art, marketing, etc., I much rather keep the control and the royalties than not have any say-so in how my book turns out.

What is the name of your book(s)? I currently have eight books in publication. Temptation is an erotic anthology. I have two books out in the Before the Sun Rises Series, The Red Fang and Immortal Sins. Book three, Clan of the Claw, is scheduled to release sometime in the next year. I have three books out with my co-author, Angel Scott, in the Sweet Seductions Series – The Taming of Andy Savage, Collaring Ash, and Jinx’d! I also have two standalone novels, Vindictus The Dark Lord and Hell’s Ballad. I am currently working on four new manuscripts and hope to have the next one out around the first of March.

Were they an easy write for you? Nothing in the Before the Sun Rises Series has been easy for me. These characters are incredibly dear to my heart and I have agonized over each and every word I have put to paper. I have seven books planned so far in this series and it’s taking me years to write each one. The rest of my work has been written in a matter of months for each book, but the BTSR Series is such a rich world, I’ve been forced to take my time with the books.

What’s the hardest part about writing a book? For me, it’s finding the time since I work full time, and finding the inspiration. There is so much which goes into being an indie author that it can all be overwhelming. I’m having to balance regular work with family, kids, doing graphic art work for others as well as formatting. Then there’s marketing and promoting my own work. I get burnt out fairly often and each new release brings a fresh batch of anxiety over how well it will fair in the industry. It’s nerve wracking and yet greatly rewarding at the same time.

What’s the easiest part about writing a book? Writing itself isn’t really easy for me. I’d have to say the easiest part is coming up with ideas. I have so many ideas and plot lines floating around inside my head at any given time it’s crazy. I just wish I had the time to write them all.

Where can interested readers purchase copies of your books? My works are available at all major retailers including Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Kobo, iBooks, and Smashwords.

Do you have any future projects in the works? Oh my yes. I usually have two to six manuscripts going at once so I definitely have some new books coming out this year. I’m currently getting ready to release an erotic romance called Micah’s Ember. It’s slated to be released in early March. I also plan to have book 3 in the Before the Sun Rises Series, Clan of the Claw, out towards the end of the year. I’m also hoping to have a follow up novel to Vindictus ready sometime this year as well.

Do you have any social media sites you would like to share with my readers? My website, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

---------------------------------------------------------

Join me next week as I bring you more authors!


No comments:

Post a Comment