Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Authors in the Spotlight 2/7

In today's Authors in the Spotlight, we have authors Stephen Morris and Callie Hunter!

----------------------------------------------------------

Name: Stephen Morris

How long have you been published? My first novel came out in July, 2012.

What's the worst part about being published? The worst part is that I can no longer go back and keep polishing my work. You are forced to let go of the work, send it out into the world, and then go on to your next project.

What's the best part about being published? The best part is seeing the physical book, an object that is the result of all your research and thinking and concentration and typing and editing efforts. There is an objective reality that you can point to and say, “I did this!” You weren’t just spending all those years daydreaming and staring into space for nothing!

Are you self-published or did you go through a publishing company? My novels are self-published. My nonfiction works are published by traditional academic publishing companies.

*What are the highs, if any? The high of writing is escaping into another world, an alternate reality and living new adventures vicariously through your characters.

*What are the lows, if any? The difficult work each day of finding the doorway into that alternate reality. Making the transition from mundane work and surfing the Web to actually writing is a difficult transition for me, each and every time. Beginning to write each day and setting aside my laziness never becomes any easier for me.

What is the name of your book(s)? Storm Wolf was released in September, 2016. The Come Hell or High Water trilogy came out in 2012 and 2013.

Was it/were they an easy write for you? There is a similar dynamic to writing every chapter insofar as writing the first half or two-thirds of each chapter is like climbing up a rock wall by your fingernails only to finally crest the ridge and then writing the rest of the chapter is like sledding down a mountainside. You reach a critical mass where finally the effort required tips and—viola!—you fly down the other side of the mountain you were struggling so hard to climb.

What's the hardest part about writing a book? Hardest? Getting started in the morning!

What's the easiest part about writing a book? Easiest? Drinking another cup of coffee as I plan the next scene—or even the next paragraph!

Where can interested readers purchase their copy of your book(s)? All my books can be found on my Author Central page.

Do you have any future projects in the works? I am working on a non-fiction project about Byzantine history up through the tenth century and have several novels at various stages of development. The two that are furthest along are one set in Ireland that follows up loose threads from Come Hell or High Water; I am also working on a supernatural thriller set in 1600s Prague and involves the Ottoman Turkish merchants there so it gives me the opportunity to explore Muslim and Turkish magic, occult practices, and folk beliefs as well as the Czech tales of Turkish ghosts in Prague.

*Is there a tentative release date? I hope the nonfiction will appear sometime in 2018; the next novel should appear in 2018 or 2019 as well. (Egads! Did I just write that?? Can it really be nearly 2020?!?!)

Do you have any social media sites that you would like to share with my readers? I have a blog and more information about all my books at www.stephenmorrisauthor.com and I am also on Twitter.

----------------------------------------------------------

Name: Callie Hunter
Tentative date for first publication? Oh, I've got no idea. 😊
Will you self-publish or go through a traditional publisher? Most likely self-publish.
*Why? I like the freedom of self-publishing and to maintain full control, however, a traditional publisher can really capture a wider audience. It is difficult to create interest in your work when self-published without giving books for free, in my experience. Currently, the thought of sharing my work with a traditional publisher is still frightening. One day, I’d love to be assigned to a publisher but for now, I’m learning the basics of self-publishing.
Was making that decision a difficult one for you to make? Yes and no.
*Why? The fear of rejection keeps me from submitting, also the knowledge that my work isn’t quite ready. The larger projects are safely tucked away while smaller projects take form. The confidence in my writing is a beautiful thing to achieve, but it’s also very difficult to maintain.
What is the name of your book(s)? I am working on a series called Still Searching, and the first installment is called Russian Roulette. There are many projects needing an edit, a re-write, and to be completed; sadly, it’s been a troublesome few years and my writing has suffered.
Was it/were they an easy write for you? Some of them were easy, they flowed without having to consciously put effort in. The characters were strong, could guide the story, and even leave me surprised. Since my writer’s block came three years ago, it has been difficult to shift it. The ideas are there, they’re just hiding. I hope to get them down on paper again soon.
What's the hardest part about writing a book? Filling the gaps between A-Z. I dislike planning every aspect of the story. The characters can usually bring the story from milestone to milestone. When the brick wall comes it can be difficult to climb over it.
What's the easiest part about writing a book? Falling in love with my characters. A lot of emotion and love goes into them. When they take form and begin to run wild it becomes an addiction to write, to see where they are taking the story. I know where it’s going vaguely, but the details come when the characters are ready to unfold.
Where will future readers be able to purchase their copy of your book(s)? Amazon Kindle store.
Do you have any other projects in the works? I started a thriller called Hide and Seek four years ago and I hope to return to it as soon as inspiration comes, and I can overcome the struggles I faced when writing the story.
Do you have any social media sites that you would like to share with my readers? Facebook and Twitter

----------------------------------------------------------

 Join me on Thursday as I bring you author T.D. Edwards!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment