Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Author's in the Spotlight 4/11

In today's Authors in the Spotlight, we have authors Raven St. Pierre and Kris Licht!

---------------------------------------------------------

Name: Raven St. Pierre

How long have you been published? My publishing anniversary is November 2013, so it’s been three and a half years! That’s crazy.

What's the worst part about being published? The worst part? Hmm… I’d have to say the pressure. I remember when I first published, there was this long bout of writer’s block that made me consider giving up. I couldn’t shake the feeling incredible vulnerability that came along with knowing people could read my work and (Oh, no!) critique it. lol. I’d take so long to write one sentence, reading it, re-reading it, erasing it, re-writing it. It made for a ton of non-productive days and a lot of wasted time. I was just so afraid of people not liking my next book that it crippled me. Today, there’s still a certain amount of pressure that comes with the territory, but, with 13 books under my belt, I’ve learned to trust myself. And I’ve also learned to accept the fact that everyone won’t love everything you write. Just do your best and keep going.

What's the best part about being published? The best part is definitely connecting with readers. I wrote for years without having any sort of audience. I finished my first full-length novel in 2009 and was basically writing for myself, a good friend, and my cousin. So, once I figured out how to share my work with the world, writing felt a little less lonely. All of a sudden, I had readers who wanted to talk about my work and discuss whatever I was working on next. From there, we connected on a deeper level and I consider many of them real friends. Never in a million years did I expect that and I love it.

Are you self published or did you go through a publishing company? I’m self-published.
 
*What are the highs, if any? I love that my career is in my hands and no one else’s. I have complete control over all aspects of the process and it’s nice not having to answer to anyone.
 
*What are the lows, if any? The marketing can sometimes be tricky, but it’s a learning process. My advice to any newbie self-publishers is to check out all the marketing books/articles/blog/podcasts you can get your hands on and don’t be afraid to try new things. Think outside the box!

What is the name of your book(s)? Currently, I have thirteen. I’ll list them below 😊
 
-THE FREE FALLING SERIES
Gravity
Secrets
Exposed
Today. Tomorrow. Always
Delivered
 
-THE AGAIN FOR THE FIRST TIME SERIES
Again for the First Time
Matt & Brooklyn
Chasing Moonlight
 
-THE MEN OF INDECENT EXPOSURE SERIES
Marco
 
-STANDALONES
Overdose
Red Sun
Only Love
Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob

Was it/were they an easy write for you? Some of them were easy, but others weren’t. My stories are somewhat intricate, because many of them are installments in a series, so there are a lot of details to keep up with. My latest release, CHASING MOONLIGHT, was the hardest of all to write because of the touchy subject matter, but finishing it was also very fulfilling. It was, in my opinion, a story that needed to be told, exactly the way it was told.

What's the hardest part about writing a book? It kind of varies for each book, but I’d say, in general, starting it is the most difficult part. You want the first part of the story to be engaging, which can be kind of hard when you’re trying to find your footing with it. Especially seeing as how you don’t really know your characters all that well yet. Often times, I find myself going back to re-write the beginning after I finish the book in its entirety because the tone of the story is completely different than when I initially started.

What's the easiest part about writing a book? Honestly, none of it is easy, lol. Don’t get me wrong, I love what I do and there’s no other way I’d rather earn my living, but there’s nothing simple about stringing together 100,000 words, having them all make sense, and then finding a way to give your readers an emotionally satisfying ending on top of it all, lol. It’s difficult work, but it’s an incredible experience.

Where can interested readers purchase their copy of your book(s)? My work is available exclusively on Amazon. Here’s a link to my Author Page for anyone who wants to check it out!

Do you have any future projects in the works? Absolutely! Book two in THE MEN OF INDECENT EXPOSURE SERIES is next up on my release list and I *hope* to have it available in July. I’ve also been working on a new series I’ll be releasing under a new pen next year, so I’m super excited about that! Book one is days away from being complete and it’ll be my first paranormal romance/urban fantasy project. Had a blast to writing it :)

Do you have any social media sites that you would like to share with my readers? Anyone who wants to keep up with me can find me in a number of ways: Amazon | Facebook | Twitter | Newsletter | Trailers | Consultations | Street Team | Pinterest | Website
 
---------------------------------------------------------


Name: Kris Licht

How long have you been published? 1st book since 2010

What's the worst part about being published? I had to self-publish, so, unless I pay for it, no "marketing". I'm on my own. Which basically means I am only able to sell by word of mouth.

What's the best part about being published? Holding a hard copy of my work in my hands and knowing people can read that story that wanted to come out.

Are you self published or did you go through a publishing company? Self published.

*What are the highs, if any? When someone tells me they want to buy a book...then after they read it, they like it.

*What are the lows, if any? It's hard to get anyone to buy a book anymore. It's frustrating that I know I'm not the greatest writer, but I know my stories are a good read.

What is the name of your book(s)? Three novels published to date are: Hearts Are Never Wrong. Love, Not Blood. Jordan & Victorya. I also wrote a picture book; Let's Meet Eric

Was it/were they an easy write for you? They were very easy to write. Just finding time between life and my money-making job to get it done.

What's the hardest part about writing a book? Knowing that my readership is really low.

What's the easiest part about writing a book? Doing the actual writing. The story was ready to be told, so I just gave it life.

Where can interested readers purchase their copy of your book(s)? Right now they're available through Amazon and Barnes & Noble.com. Or through me!

Do you have any future projects in the works? Too many to count! Seriously. I'm always writing stories...they need to be told.

*Is there a tentative release date? No, not yet, because I'm busy with my having to work for a living job...

Do you have any social media sites that you would like to share with my readers? You can find my books, music and art on Facebook!

 ---------------------------------------------------------

Join me on Thursday as I bring you more authors!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment