Wednesday, May 28, 2014

And Yet Another Member...

Has joined the "Dead Poet's Society"...

I cannot articulate how heartbroken I am over the recent passing of Maya Angelou, but I am. Just thinking of her causes my eyes to swell with tears that threaten to spill over. I am just that hurt...

I first learned of her in fifth grade at school and every year after that. She didn't quite catch my interest until I was in eighth grade and I found the desire to write. My English teacher was teaching us about poetry and she was one of the poets featured. Something about the way she wrote just captured me right in that moment and I knew that if I were to ever become a poet, I wanted to be like her. Her style, her depth, her realism just did something to me; I believed in that moment that that was how poems were supposed to be written and so, I began to write. The rest is history...

I'm not one to believe in idols but if I had to have one, she was it...

"I feel like I've lost a part of me,
Growing up, that's who I wanted to be,
Her words, her style, her everything,
Now forever a spirit in poetry..."
~La Kata E.K.~

R.I.P. Maya Angelou

No comments:

Post a Comment