Sunday, January 26, 2014

When The Thought Of Success...

Turns into a paralyzing fear; that is when you have to acknowledge that you a problem....

Last week, I was featured in the launch edition of an online magazine (Urban Cache Magazine). I was excited about it and it was pretty cool because that was the second time that has happened to me. In 2012, I was featured in the launch edition of another online magazine (L'Amour Divine). A few years back, I was asked to be a guest speaker for a group of young girls because I was a positive influence. Twice, I was asked to be the guest speaker in my old Lit Professor's class; she deemed me the "Poet Laureate" of her class. I enjoy these moments because this is what I strive for. Or at least I thought I did...

As I stand by a friend and fellow writer, I'm able to watch all of her dreams come true through her talent. She's been such an inspiration and that's what I want for myself. That's what I keep telling myself that's what I want anyway...

The very thought that my dreams might actually come true strikes a fear deep within me that I'm actually embarrassed to speak about. Like a dear caught in headlights, I am riddled with a paralyzing fear. I can't exactly put my finger on the exact reason why, so I don't even try to. I honestly don't think that it has anything to do with the exposure, but more or less, the personal aspect of it all...

That friend that I previously mentioned, said that she loves my writing because it's "transparent". One does not have to guess or weed through what it is that I want to say and I suppose that makes sense. I mean really, why beat around the bush? But like, my writing is ME. It's a form of ME. It's an expression of ME. It's the exposure of ME...

Right before I left my job, I sold about 50 copies of "A Deeper Me" and that was awesome coming from me! I shied away a couple of times but then those times were few and far between. Word of mouth helped too. I was grateful that no one really wanted to discuss a particular poem because that is when I truly withdraw. Well, on one or two occasions, there were a couple of people that felt the need to discuss and dissect a poem that caught their eye and I'm not going to lie, the entire conversation had me wishing I were somewhere else. It was awkward for me to the point of being painful. To the reader, they are just words but to the writer, THIS writer, it's my life...

No comments:

Post a Comment