Sunday, October 30, 2016

You Can Call Me A Magician...

Because I know how to disappear...

Clearly, I have pulled quite the vanishing act these last few months and I'm kind of upset about it because I was doing so well with at least posting once a month. I should have known though that I would slip up somewhere when I missed July, I think it was.

Anyway, outside of all of the other things that have kept me busy in the last few months, my novella is the one that I want to talk about the most.

I officially finished in late August, I believe. I sent it out to the few people that I trusted would read it and give me their honest opinion and the feedback was quite amazing. Thankfully, their feedback was honest enough to point out to me that there was a major flaw within the book. Of my three main characters, one was missing a back story. So naturally, I had to go back and fix what it was that was clearly missing and it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Actually, it was a lot easier than it was to write the book in the first place!

Ah, the book.

It all began back in 2010 when I was wanting to try something other than writing poetry. Just a little something that I played around with in the beginning; well, for like 5 years anyway. There were 3 other stories that I played around with too, but it wasn't until about January of last year that I decided to take writing this particular story seriously. It took my sister and two family friends holding me accountable during our accountability meetings that took me from page 17 to page 66 in a matter of 4 months. After that, I kind of played around until my mom and a close friend started becoming a pain in my neck about it. Honestly, I appreciate them being the kinds of pains that they were because by December, I was at page 100, I believe.

My original goal was to go to page 120 and at 111, seeing as to how I was almost at the goal, I stopped. I just quit writing the story all together. I think it was because I wasn't ready to end it just yet. This project that I began working on, that I never imagined finishing. To be able to actually stay focused long enough to write an entire story was something that I never saw in my past, present, or future. Then the reality that once I was done, this project would no longer be my focus affected me more than I imagined that it would. So I'm sure that it comes to no surprise to you (but a HUGE one to me) that I'm already working on another book.

Anyway, I'm taking the necessary steps needed to have it ready for its 2017 release. The more steps I take, the more excited I become! So I ask for complete and utter patience when my blog seems to be focused on my book. It's going to be quite the read and I hope that you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment