Monday, October 31, 2016

Welcome To The Unveiling Of...

My upcoming book...

If you're reading this, I want to thank you in advance for your interest in my upcoming book; it's due to be released at the beginning of 2017.  Though, this will be the sixth book to my literary catalog, it will be my first story. As nervous as I am about sharing this, I am extremely excited about it as well! So, sit back and relax as I give you an excerpt from "Secrets".



Mykale

As I continued to run, my legs began to ache. The slow burning feeling crept along my calves, up my thighs, and to my groin. But I couldn’t stop running. I knew that if I slowed down for even a second they would catch up with me.

Day had quickly turned to night and night was only getting darker with each passing minute. They weren’t my only fear at the moment, the ever encompassing dark was, too. I hadn’t the slightest idea as to where I was at and because I couldn’t see my surroundings, I found myself continuously battling off hysteria each time my foot hit the ground.

My heart beat heavy in my chest and I felt that it was going to explode. My lungs began to feel as if they were burning and I wanted to stop and catch my breath. With the air being thick and muggy, it made breathing damn near impossible. I needed to stop, but I couldn’t just yet.

 The blood was pumping so fast throughout my body that I could hear the rhythmic noise in my ears. It seemed so loud. Everything seemed so loud. The crickets chirping, the sound of the soil crunching beneath my feet, the way the tall grass “whooshed” as my legs flew through it; it was as if every noise was magnified except the one that I was desperately trying to listen for.

The darkness of night made it impossible to see within inches in front of my face. Multiple times, I stumbled over something hidden within the brush. Once or twice, I found myself grasping wildly in front of me as I lost my balance. On occasion, I felt something questionable graze past me, but I couldn’t stop to investigate; I dared not stop because my life literally depended on it.

As my body began to tire and my legs began to feel sluggish, I contemplated stopping just long enough to catch my breath. I only needed just a couple of moments to get myself together, to maybe collect my thoughts as best I could under the circumstances; but then I heard the noise that I was listening for. The urgent screaming of my name off in the distance caused me to renege on my decision to slow down. Finding some second or third wind that I didn’t know existed within me, I began sprinting frantically into the darkened woods.

            What probably took minutes, felt like it took forever but I eventually saw what looked like low lighting up ahead. A clearing maybe? I wasn’t sure what it was but I could feel my body begin to soar as if my feet had wings. Just a few more…

CRACK!

            And just like that, the light was gone…          

No comments:

Post a Comment