Thursday, July 27, 2017

Authors in the Spotlight 7/27

In today's author's in the Spotlight, we have author Jim McComish!

---------------------------------------------------------

Name: Jim McComish

Published since: My first novel, the Reluctant Rapparee, was published in Decmeber 2015.

Worst part of being published: I was quite nervous about laying myself bare to the world, but I haven’t encountered any negative feedback so far.

Best part of being published: Seeing my book in print and having the opportunity to make my work available on a global platform.

Self published/Publishing company: I was very fortunate in that a small local publishing company, Excalibur Press, was just starting up at the same time as I was finishing my novel. They were looking for a local writer and I submitted my manuscript to them. I was successful in my application.

What is the name of your book(s)? Reluctant Rapparee
Rapparees were basically irregular soldiers fighting a guerrilla war in the late 17th to early 18th centuries in Ireland. They are celebrated in Irish Folklore much as Robin Hood is in the English tradition. 

Was it/were they an easy write for you? I had already undertaken a great deal of research on these fascinating people as part of a dissertation for my Masters in Irish Cultural Heritages, so I was able to write with a good deal of confidence on this period of history.

What's the hardest part about writing a book? Although the story came easily I had to put a good deal of thought about how to present basically a light hearted story in what was a very dark and contentious period of Irish history. I didn’t want to gloss over issues such as the Penal Laws and went to some lengths to detail the injustices that existed in our society at that time.

What's the easiest part about writing a book? The easiest part about writing for me was the humour; I enjoy laughing at my own jokes and creating dialogue between characters.

Where can interested readers purchase their copy of your book(s)? on Amazon and Excalibur Press

I would advise readers to use the Amazon page as this is the cheapest option, currently £5.99 for a printed copy or £1.99 Kindle.

Do you have any future projects in the works? *Is there a tentative release date? I’m currently working on my second novel, set in the Belfast docklands of the late 1870s, over 130 years after the events of the Reluctant Rapparee. There is a loose connection between the two novels but it will not be necessary to read the first one to enjoy the second. I am working towards a release date near the end of the year.
Do you have any social media sites that you would like to share with my readers? Facebook and Twitter
---------------------------------------------------------

Join me next week as I bring you more authors!


No comments:

Post a Comment