Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Authors in the Spotlight 5/23

In today's Authors in the Spotlight, we have author Merci McKinley!

---------------------------------------------------------


Name: Merci McKinley

How long have you been published? I became a published author when my first collaboration as a Contributing Author in Silent No More Camouflaged Sisters was released in November 2016. I have been a part of other collaborations with Coach Stacy Bryant in Her Story II that was released February 2017. I am a newly Indie Author of my first Solo Project, The Harvest under my own imprint of I2E Inspiration2Empower Press.

What's the worst part about being published? I believe that becoming a published Author is a gift within itself. It is a gift the author gives to themselves to take on becoming published. It is also a gift to the readers they will eventually acquire. So, given this gift, I don’t think being published is truly a negative aspect of being a writer.

What's the best part about being published? The best part about being published is the person you grow into becoming, and enhancing your skills as a writer. Many ask themselves do I have what it take? When you become published you no longer have this weight upon you of the what if. You can proudly say, I did it, I am an Author, and I put my goal into action. When that product, which is an extension of the Author themselves, is released, the accomplishment is astounding. The ability to grow and network with others is the best part about being published.

Are you self-published or did you go through a publishing company? As of right now I am a self-published and I do not regret it not one bit. There is a lot that goes into trying to acquire an Agent or querying to Publishing Companies. Can you imagine all of the writers whom had outstanding literary works rejected, and given up? Their words; their craft of being a writer becomes lost in rejection. So rather than allow “The Harvest” to die in a rejection pile, I went after it and became self-published under my own imprint of Inspiration2Empower Press. 

*What are the highs, if any? The highs of being a self-published author is not being constrained, or subjecting yourself to Vanity Publishers. The high is simply being in control of your intellectual property in which you’ve written, and not be taken advantage of by others whom only see an opportunity to benefit themselves, without giving much thought to you, the writer, or your future readers that have been waiting for what you have written. 

*What are the lows, if any? The lows are definitely the cost, and trying to develop ways to be cost efficient and conservative. Editing alone which is a valid and worthy investment can be quite expensive.

What is the name of your book(s)? The name of my first Solo Project is entitled “The Harvest”. The Harvest is about helping women become empowered through developing a self-love and building self-worth for themselves. I find that sometimes we seek validation in others that are just as broken as we are, if not more. So, internally, I decided to share my testimony of trials and tribulations, but to show how I overcame them through my faith in God. I am a survivor of many things, but at the age of nine, I was given the Bible as a gift from my mother. I said to myself, this gift that I was given and how it sustained me in my valley of trials and tribulations, must be shared. It is simply my way of guiding women through my testimony of how to obtain this very same gift for themselves by allowing the love God has for them to be what they use to build the love they should have for themselves.

Was it/were they an easy write for you? It was easy to write because it is sincere and what I ultimately desired to give my future readers. It was easy because I though there is a woman out there whom is struggling to live life moving forward in the aftermath of trauma, and I wanted to reach her. What did make it hard was being transparent and opening myself up to future judgment. However, once I got over this way of thinking, it became easier as the words flowed.

What's the hardest part about writing a book? The hardest part about writing a book is getting yourself organized, finding the time to do it, and make that commitment to seeing it through. We all have a story within us that is waiting to brought to life within a book. The hardest part is recognizing this, and following through with it in action. The hardest part is developing an outline to help guide the literary work you ultimately want to unfold as a writer.

What's the easiest part about writing a book? The easiest part about writing a book is to write your thoughts and allowing those thoughts to take shape in the words that will be written. This, when the passion is truly there, will be the easiest part about writing a book.

Where can interested readers purchase their copy of your book(s)? “The Harvest” will be released here shortly on Amazon. They can also visit my website, connect with myself on Facebook also and hashtag of #inspiration2empower or send an email to mercimckinley.author@gmail.com. I will most definitely respond because I desire to connect with my future readers.

Do you have any future projects in the works? Yes, I do actually which are “She Speaks” and Lyrical Intervention, Poetic Nourishment for The Soul. She Speaks is designed as positive self talk towards future Survivors of Domestic Violence. Lyrical Intervention is my way of providing much needed intervention by way of poetic prose. 

*Is there a tentative release date? The tentative release dates will be November 2017.

Do you have any social media sites that you would like to share with my readers? Yes, I am on Facebook, LinkedIn and will eventually venture into twitter as well under I2E. I can easily be searched for via my name of Merci McKinley.

---------------------------------------------------------

Join me Thursday as I bring you authors L.D. Carroll and Anna Brentwood!


No comments:

Post a Comment