Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Authors in the Spotlight 2/28

In today's Authors in the Spotlight, we have author Kay Blake!


----------------------------------------------------------

Name: Kay Blake

How long have you been published? Since 2014, so going on 3 years. 

What's the worst part about being published? Sometimes, I’m not sure if my books are being seen or sometimes, because I’m a black author who writes interracial romance. I have been told my book wouldn’t be reviewed because the “reviewer” couldn’t relate to my heroine and that did hurt a bit, as when I read, I don’t see it as well since this character is white, so I can’t possibly relate. It’s absurd to me that people can’t see that a good character can be relatable regardless of the color of skin. 

What's the best part about being published? I like that I can get my ideas and stories into the world. Being published has put me on the path to meet some extremely awesome people.

Are you self published or did you go through a publishing company? *What are the highs, if any? *What are the lows, if any? I’m a self-published author. I do pay for professional editing and most times the covers are made by myself with the use of a photo editor program & stock images. I think the highs is that the rights to my written works belong to me, and for the most part the indie author community tries to support one another. For me, the lows are sometimes us self-published authors are looked at as if we don’t produce quality work which is simply not true. Also, from what I have seen over the year (2016), sometimes there are a small handful of authors who are like a mean girl/boy clique and I think that kind of behavior is hurtful to the book world and to us indies.

What is the name of your book(s)? I have several novellas and a novellette. Lost and Found (novellete), Second Time’s A Charm (novella), Protecting Eden (novella), and my most recent novella is called Catch Me If I Fall. It is the start of a series/trilogy about 3 Korean brothers who find love. The series is called The Kim Brothers. 

Was it/were they an easy write for you? For the most part they were. For Second Time’s A Charm, one of the characters is based on a friend of mine who passed away. In Catch Me If I Fall, as this story deals with a Korean man and a black woman who wears a prosthetic, I had to research a lot and ask many questions. I had to really dig deep for this story. 

What's the hardest part about writing a book? I think when self-doubt starts to roll around, you write that. Sometimes, I have to push extra hard to remember this was an idea for a reason and that everyone has doubts when they are producing a work no matter what kind of work it is. 

What's the easiest part about writing a book? I think if you have an idea that you love, it is easy then for the words to flow on the page.

Where can interested readers purchase their copy of your book(s)? All of my books are on Amazon

Do you have any future projects in the works? *Is there a tentative release date? Yes I do. Three actually. A novellete called Breathe You which goal is to release end of March/early April 2017. A novella called “I Knew You Were Trouble to be released in August 2017 & Book 2 in The Kim Brothers Series called Free Me which will most likely be released in December 2017. 

Do you have any social media sites that you would like to share with my readers? Yes, I do. Website, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook Page, Facebook Profile, Wattpad.

 ----------------------------------------------------------

Join me Thursday as I bring you author Bryce David Salazar!

 

2 comments: