Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Authors in the Spotlight 1/17

In today's Authors in the Spotlight, we have Tania L. Ramos, CJ Bower, and E. Denise Caldon Sorkness !


----------------------------------------------------------------


Name: Tania L Ramos

How long have you been published? First published on 2012

What's the worst part about being published? Marketing is by far the most difficult part of being published. Nobody tells you that after you publish a book, you have to get a degree in marketing to promote the book.

What's the best part about being published? The best part about being published is a sense of self-accomplishment in knowing that I was able to fulfill a life long dream.

Are you self published or did you go through a publishing company? Technically I am self-published, but I did use a company to do all the dirty work for me so I am published under their name. This is a paid for publishing entity, so it really is a toss up as whether to say self-published or assisted published..  

*What are the highs, if any? The highs of being published are getting this absolute giddy sensation whenever I finish writing a book. There is also a definite euphoric feeling in being able to physically touch something I birthed into print. I could only liken the emotion to those butterflies one gets when they meet someone special.

*What are the lows, if any? The lows are the worst. Those come in steady increments: writer's block and all the self-shaming that comes with that. Having my manuscript come back from editing bleeding of red editor's notes. And marketing my heart out to see 40 hours of efforts may have yielded a few downloads or purchases that week, but not enough to retire me so I can write for a living.

What is the name of your book(s)? I have two fiction novels: Be Still and Life by Chance. I also have one guide book of all the lessons I learned as a new author titled, Surviving the Writing Apocalypse.

Was it/were they an easy write for you? Writing Be Still flowed quite effortlessly. There is one book prior to that, but it's not main stream published, it was more of a use for cutting my teeth so to speak. Once I finished that book, writing Be Still flowed with ease.

What's the hardest part about writing a book? The hardest part about writing a book is sticking to writing. Once my brain gets an idea I can easily get through about 50,000 words, after that new characters and new stories start trying to push through. Staying focused and pushing through is the most difficult part of writing.

What's the easiest part about writing a book? I'm not sure there is an easy part of writing. Even in writing Be Still there were times of writer's block and tons of doubt. In all honesty, the easiest part of writing is coming up with characters, but it's downhill from there.

Where can interested readers purchase their copy of your book(s)? My books are available through all online markets: Amazon, Barnes & Noble, iBook, Google etc. They are in print and e-books.

Do you have any future projects in the works? I am currently working on a new book. I've taken a somewhat tragic and infuriating personal event from life and turned it into fiction. The basic premise is, a handsome Marine turns out to be a lying narcissist who leaves a trail of women, until he messes the wrong one.

*Is there a tentative release date? This book is still being written and was by 2016 NaNoWriMo project.

Do you have any social media sites that you would like to share with my readers? I'm on Twitter and Facebook and my personal website is
www.TaniaLRamos.com.


----------------------------------------------------------------

Name: CJ Bower

How long have you been published? I will be celebrating my first bookaversary on January 18, 2017.

What's the worst part about being published? It isn’t the worst part, but it’s definitely the scariest! Putting my work out there and not having anyone enjoy it. I think the hardest part of being a published author is having to promote my own work. I have no marketing experience at all, so it’s been a steep learning curve for me. I’ve been absorbing tips and tricks from my fellow authors. Some have worked, and others have failed. Unfortunately there’s no one magic formula to advertising and book sales.

What's the best part about being published? The positive feedback I’ve received from a everyone who’s read and enjoyed my stories.

Are you self-published or did you go through a publishing company?
I was introduced to Beachwalk Press through another author, who happens to be in my critique group. They’ve accepted three of my works so far, with a fourth on track for a 2017 release.

*What are the highs, if any?  The highs include working with an amazing publishing team dedicated to the success of every single author under their label and not having to pay for the upfront costs of putting a book together. That includes the editor, cover artist and formatting for both print and ebook.

*What are the lows, if any? The publisher has all control over pricing and releases. They also have the final say in the cover art and design.

What is the name of your book(s)? I have three books out at this time. On Track with Icing, book one of my Caked with Pleasure series, is my first, released January 18, 2016. The sports-themed anthology, In It To Win It was released on July 18, 2016, and Icing the Competition, Caked with Pleasure series book 2, was released November 15, 2016.

Was it/were they an easy write for you? None of them were easy. Especially On Track with Icing, because Jacqui goes through a similar emotional journey that I went through. For both of us, it was the single most difficult decision we had to make.

What's the hardest part about writing a book? Creating story lines of similar themes that have a fresh, new take on them. It’s about giving the audience something new and exciting to sink their proverbial teeth into, while at the same time wrapping them in a blanket of comfort and familiar. There are only so many different tropes out there, and every author has the challenge of presenting those tropes in a new and exciting way.

What's the easiest part about writing a book? Creating the amazing character profiles! Is my hero a millionaire plumber with a secret love for figure skating? Or is my heroine a ball-busting executive who is ashamed of her desire to be dominated? What kind of emotional journey does my couple need to go through in order to be together? What obstacles do they need to overcome? The possibilities are endless!

Where can interested readers purchase their copy of your book(s)? My books are available at most online retailers. Amazon, Barnes & Noble, iTunes, Kobo, BookStrand (which is new to me), and Beachwalk Press.

Do you have any future projects in the works? My current Work-in-Progress is book three of the Caked with Pleasure series, Knotted Up with Passion.

*Is there a tentative release date? No tentative release date yet, but hopefully sometime early in 2017!

Do you have any social media sites that you would like to share with my readers?
I can be found at the following social media sites: Facebook, My website, and Twitter.

----------------------------------------------------------------


Name: E. Denise Caldon Sorkness

How long have you been published? November 2015

What's the worst part about being published?
Marketing as a self-publisher. 

What's the best part about being published?
Every Veteran and their family have a story Congress and our Nation need to hear.  My book allows me to share our family’s story worldwide, in which I encourage others, as Winston Churchill said, to “Never, Never, Give up.” 

Are you self-published or did you go through a publishing company?
Self-Published

*What are the highs, if any? Minimal upfront costs to self-publishing.

*What are the lows, if any? Self-editing and self-marketing are challenges of self-publishing. 

What is the name of your book(s)?
“Stall, Deny, and Hope They Die” – The VA’s Unwritten Policy... The Story of One Widow’s 19-Year Battle with the VA          

Was it/were they an easy write for you? Once I finally set my mind to write, yes.  The dream of every writer is to have their heart type the words for them, and, as the voice of so many Veterans and their Families, my heart would not stop “writing” once I started. 

I am now in my twentieth year fighting for my VA DIC Spousal Benefits through insurmountable and never-ending paperwork. My book encourages Veterans and their Families – who each have their own story - to live each day remembering….through relentless faith, love, and perseverance, your family, just like ours today, will, one day, know, “The Impossible Dream” is, indeed, “Possible.”   

What's the hardest part about writing a book? Visualizing the reader as you proof your drafts to ensure your words are “captivating,” yet, real.  An Author’s goal is to have the reader comprehend the true magnitude of the story on a personal level.

What's the easiest part about writing a book? Authors believing by typing their story through their heart, mind and soul, their words will make a difference, one day, to someone.  For me, one Veteran and their family at a time.

Where can interested readers purchase their copy of your book(s)? Amazon.

Do you have any future projects in the works? I am seeking a traditional publisher for my self-published book and a film producer, while scheduling speaking engagements and Podcast interviews.

Actress, Reese Witherspoon, corresponded with me for three months as she was considering producing a film on our family’s story. She said in her initial email to me:

“I am so excited that you have written a book to tell the world your story. People need to hear it and connect a face and a family to this injustice.” “Like my grandmother always said, "If you want something done, ask a Southern woman to do it."

*Is there a tentative release date? A Podcast interview was recently aired, with two more scheduled this month - along with another Facebook Interview.     

Do you have any social media sites that you would like to share with my readers? Facebook, YouTube Speech Part1, YouTube Speech Part2, Radio Talk Show Interview with Host Jim Beach November 2016: To hear my interview, click on the radio link under the title on the website; wait for download; scroll to 36.53 to begin.
Global Watchdog, American Widow Project, The Veterans Site, YouTube, YouTube TV Interview, LinkedIn

----------------------------------------------------------------


Join me on Thursday as I bring to you authors Angel Scott, Stacy McWilliams, and Guy Thair!

No comments:

Post a Comment